Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Freezer Cooking

I've been brainstorming on freezer meals. (Okay, you can now groan and go read an interesting blog like this. Where they actually cook for fun.) No, I really do like to bake and most of the time cook, but sometimes it's nice to be able to work on a big project uninterrupted. Crock-pots are obviously good for that too, but that's not what I've been thinking about.

The problem is I'm not too fond of mushy pasta, chicken and rice, or most of the things that freezer cooking bring to mind. However I do like the idea of assembling things that need baked. Hamballs, meatloaf, stews, and an occasional lasagna (sans mushy noodles.) I remember reading a cookbook involving different bases, such as a chicken base (cooked chicken with broth over it.) However the cooked meat had an off taste to me.

So, I've been scouring the internet looking for things that I might actually eat and that sound to me like I would still want to eat after they have spent time in the freezer. And just so they aren't lonely I've been looking for lots of options.

How about a Breakfast Burrito?

Crockpot Beef Stew

Chicken Biscuit Casserole

Steak Fajitas (Love this idea!)

And...a few meals I've made in the past-

Hamballs (freeze on a cookie sheet then place the sauce in a separate bag inside the ziploc you put the frozen meatballs on.)

Meatloaf (mix and freeze)

Lasagna (assemble and freeze)

So, there you go. (Actually I just posted this for myself for future reference. Ya, know in case my paper gets lost, not that that would happen to me...but maybe someone out there will read it! lol) It works for me!

No comments: