Friday, January 9, 2009




It's been a good week. We are falling back into a routine of sorts. Matthew was sad to see the school break end.

I just got a book called Photo Freedom by Stacy Julian. I'm really enjoying it. She talks about how to organize your photos and record the memories that matter to you, instead of feeling tied to chronology. I've always scrapbooked "out of order", but I was always at a loss on getting the pages into albums in a systematic way. She basically gives you a framework to use to sort pages and photos.

Yesterday I worked on sorting photos. Basically by year, then quarters. I didn't stress over it too much, just quickly sorting. Then I took all the ones I think I might scrapbook and put them into a binder. The others either were tossed, or put into a storage box. Random pictures were sorted into category drawers.

It was really fun looking through the older pictures. The kids were looking over my shoulders almost the whole time. And I'm really happy with the results. I already feel more inspired. The beauty of this is I'm only looking through the photos I actually want to do something with. After all I can't and don't want to scrapbook every photo that I have.

I've also been going through the kitchen a bit trying to get a little more order there. Just bits and pieces, a little at a time.

This morning I was reading the story of Issaac and Rebekah. I was thinking how it's pretty amazing that Rebekah was willing to leave her family to marry an unseen, unknown man. She must have understood that this was the Lord's will for her life. After all, the servant had prayed that she would do and say the exact things she did and said. She endured separation from her family for what she knew was God's will. It's not like she could just call up mom when she was feeling lonely, or drive over to have a nice chat, maybe keep up on facebook with her old friends. She was choosing God's will over a comfortable situation. Hmm, definately something I need to ponder.

12 comments:

Ridenour Family said...

Aren't photos overwhelming sometimes?!! I feel guilty for not having perfect scrapbooks up to date like you think everyone else does. The question is, does anyone else either, or do they feel the same way?
Have a great weekend! Thanks for having me over
~Tricia

Stephanie said...

Ooh, LOVED photo freedom! Such a great book. (I've enjoyed all of hers). :) Thanks for visiting my blog today - happy Friday!

Dani said...

Photo Freedom sounds like the book for me. I have pictures all over...most of them still on my computer. :(

I read Isaac and Rebekah this week as well. It is amazing that she just said to her family "I'll go". I thought that her spirit must have been a lot like Mary's when I read that.

Aimee said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! It's always fun to find other Company Girls! Love your site!

Rachel Anne said...

I need that book! I'm in Photo Bondage. I shut down when I think of trying to organize them.

Sounds like you DID have a good week! I love making progress (even in little bits) in the things that are important.

have a great weekend!

secondofwett said...

I started scrapbooking a few years ago when my eldest daughter was a demonstrator for one of those scrapbooking companies...trouble is...I was never very creative with it so it and all my photos are piled up at my desk in our basement....waiting....I'd rather be quilting!

Carol said...

I really need to get that book. I started scrapbooking with my oldest girl when we got back from Disney. That was 3 years ago and we are still working on it. In my defense, we have about 400 pictures to scrapbook.

Rachel said...

I just want everyone to know, there is no photo police that says all your photos need to be scrapbooked or even in albums. It's okay. Really!

Plus I've only been married for eight years, and I didn't have many photos from before that.

Anonymous said...

I admire anyone who can put together a scrapbook. I get overwhelmed by other people's creativity and never seem to finish my own. Thanks for providing perspective.

Thanks for your insight on Rebekah, too. She must have had great trust in her Lord.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I love polka dots, too. If I could have them everywhere in my house without looking silly, I would!

Anonymous said...

I think I need that book too. =p Is it a new one? I can't find it at our libraries here. We just ordered our 2008 photos...well, half of them anyway.

Erin said...

Thank goodness for digital cameras, of course now I have all the pictures printed out on contact sheets (about 35 images per page) so I can pick out which ones I want to scrap. Somehow I still end up with extra pictures I don't want.