One of the things I like to do before I have a busy time coming up, is to get a few things ready in my freezer. I don't really do freezer cooking for a whole month, but I do have a few recipes that freeze well, are great to have on hand for company and generally make life a little easier during those busier times.
My favorite thing to make ahead is cookie dough. Since chocolate chip cookies seem to be preferred more than any others around here, I will make a big batch, bake one sheet, scoop all the rest up with my cookie scoop onto a cookie sheet (close together) and freeze. When they are all frozen, I pop them off the sheet. (It just occurred to me that you could use wax paper to make that step easier) Then I bag them and put them in the freezer. This is great for company that drops in, it's quick, you only dirty your kitchen once and nobody binges on too many cookies. This will work with pretty much any drop cookie. You can bake them straight from the freezer, just increase the baking time.
Another thing I love having in the freezer is dinner rolls. It really doesn't take that long to make a bigger batch. Here's my recipe and procedure:
Dinner Rolls:
4-4.5 cups flour
1 T. instant yeast
1 c. milk
1/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. butter
1 t. salt
2 eggs
Combine 2 cups flour, and yeast. Warm up the milk, sugar, butter and salt until warm. Add to flour mixture. Add eggs. Beat three minutes. (I use my Bosch.) Mix in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, Let rise until double.
Gently deflate dough. Shape into desired roll shape. Cover. Let rise again until doubled. Bake at 325 degrees for about 10 minutes. Cool. Wrap and freeze.
To serve: Thaw at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Unwrap and heat in a 400 degree oven about 10 minutes.
Another great thing to have in the freezer is meatballs. You can buy them, or make them yourself. I've done both. They are so handy to have and easy to throw into spaghetti sauce.
Lasagna and other casseroles are great and freezer versions can be found on the internet easily.
I've made a double batch of taco meat and put that in the freezer. It doesn't take any longer than making a single batch and you can pop it in the microwave for a quick meal. It doesn't have that warmed over taste either.
I would love to hear any other tips for things to freeze. Making ahead on a rainy day is definately a great plan for us.
Monday, November 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am SO going to try these rolls...thanks for the post.
~Deidra
http://deidrasheart.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment