Monday, June 30, 2008

Archives

Friday, September 15, 2006
I've been working on Matthew's room a little each day, the flylady way! It's almost done now, I just need to find a picture for one wall, and get him a new bedspread or quilt. I had made him one before, but the fabric shrunk terribly when I washed it in spite of all my preventative measures. It was a pretty simple one, so it was no great loss. I may make one, although it would be easier to get a comforter and just make some pillows or something. I found a nice one at www.landofnod.com but since it was $139 and wool, I wasn't sure it fit the bill. The bucking bronco on it was nice though.
I made him curtains from bandanas. They turned out nicely, in spite of the fact that I was short one bandana. I was going to buy one more, but I would have had to go to Hobby Lobby, and still might not find the same exact pattern. So, I just cut them in half and lined the other side with a heavier fabric. It probably makes them hang nicer too.
I really did the decorating on the cheap with "junk" I found around the farm and a few items I made myself. The one wall has a shelf with Mark's cowboy boots from his childhood, an old curry comb, a little kerosene lamp I had stashed away, and a brown pottery jar I got for a quarter at a garage sale. I hung horse shoes on either side of the shelf also. That's my favorite wall so far.
Another idea I got from Michelle, was to cover a wooden letter with paper and decorate it. So I did an "M" covered with bandana paper, star brads, and a metal tag stamped with a cowboy boot. It also has some twine tied on one side.
I'll try to take pictrures as soon as I get everything all finished.
Matthew is excited, and keeps telling Mark that his room gets neater everyday.
I went out this morning with my weed whacker and did a little work. The front steps were getting a little overgrown with whatever the creeping plant we have out there is, so I did that first, but I had to use a pair of shears, becuase the weedeater is a little underpowered and doesn't like those things. It's actually quite a nice weed whacker, because it's battery powered, so I don't have to mess with gas or a cord.


public
1:01 PM
add eprops
add comments
email
edit
Saturday, September 09, 2006
Well, hopefully our phone and internet problems are over. Apparently, the phone company will only fix the phone if the problem is outside your house. If it's inside it's your responsibility, and charge is eighty-five dollars before they even do anything. So, Mark decided to check it to see if it was inside or out. Anyway, he found a broken wire that was on the outside and fixed it himself. We had no dial tone this morning, and apparently last night, although we weren't home to know. The test calls I made seemed fine, and the internet is a lot faster.
The wedding was interesting, although it's kind of discouraging to go to a Catholic one. They didn't do the mass part, which may be because the bride decided not to convert. (which I wondered why, although, I would guess for all the wrong reasons) The "message" part was okay in a general sort of way, although they missed most of the point of the passage.
The reception was very nice, and not nearly as expensive as we thought it would be to have it there. (We asked the caterer lady that was there) We looked at a small part of the gallery, and got our art and culture dosage. They actually locked the doors to the gallery area after we left, but I think it was okay that we were there, we just stayed longer than we probably we supposed to. (We weren't really interested in the cocktails) The food was good and the cake was really delicious. At least my flavor was. They had 3-4 different ones. We left early since we didn't have Matthew and Julia and weren't interested in the rest of the party.
public
10:32 PM
add eprops
add comments
email
edit
Wednesday, September 06, 2006
I've been trying to post here for a couple of days, but our internet has been working poorly or not at all. The phone line also seems to have a problem, because almost everytime I answer or call on it, it has a terrible crackle. We've had this problem before when the shop phone's wire gets a little loose, but not to this extent. We called the phone company about it, so hopefully it will be fixed soon. When I finally got on yesterday, I only had 7 kbps, so I gave up.
We took Aunt Marcella to the dentist this morning. She's had a couple of sore places in her mouth. The dentist found a few rough spots on her dentures, and also ground down part of the inside to make everything more comfortable.
Matthew woke up with a runny nose and cough this morning. I hoping that the rest of us don't catch. He seems a little more prone to catching colds than the rest of us.
Mark and I are planning to go to a wedding this Friday night. It's a guy that loves to hunt quail from Omaha. They are having the reception at the Joslyn Art Museum. I'm interested to see whether it's in the basement or where everyone can go look at the art. Should be unique anyway.
public
4:02 PM
add eprops
add comments
email
edit
Saturday, August 26, 2006
Well, my dessert was a wonderful sucess. It was just how I expected and better. The recipe wasn't even too complicated, although it wasn't health food. I think we will save it for rare occasions, but it did merit being written in ink in my cookbook. I had egg whites left over so, I'm making a meringue with that. I have some fruit and whipped cream to put on it, so it should be yummy.
Julia had a little fever last night and was a little fussy yesterday, but it didn't seem to be anything serious. I woke up feeling a little achy and yucky, but I don't think I have a fever. Just a little bug I guess.
Mark had parts to pick up in Red Oak, so we went to the library yesterday, also. I took the kids to the children's section and we checked out kid's books, but I was kind of wanting to re-read Cheaper By The Dozen, so I did get one book of interest to me. (Actually, I enjoy reading the classic books to the kids.) Mark got a few books to read as well.


Tuesday, August 22, 2006
We just got back from Red Oak to visit the nursing home. The kids were really wound up, so we didn't go to visit Mark's dad. We also decided to eat at Pizza Ranch, which turned out really well, because it was kid's night and we had a little punch card that was full. So, the total cost of our meal was $8.55. Not bad for a buffet.
I got the ingredients to make a special dessert out of a book I checked out of the library. It's a Julia Child book called Cooking at Home. I'm also planning to try her pot roast since I'm not satified with my standard one. I've really been enjoying reading it, since it discusses cooking stuff that's pretty interesting. (Although I really need a french dictionary to know how to pronouce the dishes) I think some of the cooking is genius, simple with special touches. At least this book is. I'm not sure about her others, but this is supposed to be "home cooking". I've been reading it a little every night before bed. It gives me nice tasty dreams.
Here are a few pictures from our vacation:

No comments: