A while back I borrowed some old Baking Sheet newsletters from a friend. I really enjoyed reading through them and one of the recipes I decided to try was marshmallows. Mostly because it was fascinating and I had all the ingredients in the house. Marshmallow making probably isn't going to save you money, but it's fun and they are so much softer than the boughten variety. Plus in Brazil and probably other foreign countries you might not be able to run down to the corner grocery and pick up a bag. They are really wonderful roasted, as they practically liquify in the middle. I've made them twice and they have gone over very well with all the people I've shared them with. The recipe is not hard, but it does take time.
Marshmallows:
1 1/2 c. cold water
4 packages unflavored gelatin (1/4 ounce each)
3 c sugar
1/4 c light corn syrup
1/4 t salt
1 T. vanilla
1/2 c powdered sugar
Grease and line a 9x13 inch pan with greased parchment. (Wax paper will stick.) Pour 3/4 c. of the water into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with gelatin and let set for five minutes. Bring remaining water, sugar, corn syrup and salt to a boil over high heat. Cook without stirring until the mixture reaches the softball stage (234-240 degrees farenheit) about ten minutes. Using an electic mixer, beat syrup into the gelatin at low speed. Increase speedto high and beat for 3-5 minutes, or until soft peaks form. Add vanilla. Pour into prepared pan. Let set for three hours, or until set up. Coat surface with powdered sugar. (I used a large cookie sheet for easier clean up). Turn marshmallows out onto surface and peel off the parchment. Coat entire surface with powdered sugar. Cut into squares and coat cut surfaces with powdered sugar. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
I tried to use scissors to cut the first batch, but it didn't work well. The second time I used my bench knife, which is essentially a large flat dull metal blade.It worked really nicely. I think a greased metal spatula would work well if you don't have a bench knife.
I'm also thinking of trying flavored gelatin for strawberry marshmallows.
Friday, July 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment